Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 317: Special Olympics on Super Sunday


Another Special Olympics swim practice today.  I thought attendance would be low due to the game, but we had almost our regular crew.  Actually we had to move some swimmers around so I worked with a swimmer I had not been with before.  He is one of the more visibly disabled athletes, so although I had spoken to him before, I had no idea of his swimming ability.  It turns out he was was one the hardest working swimmers in the bunch.  Although obvioulsy limited, he tried his best to absorb everything the coaches asked, and improve his strokes.  It is remarkable how hard it is to define and pinpoint someone's abilities based on how they appear.   As this lesson sinks in, it is just another example of how much I am benefitting from this coaching experience. 
Go Pats!

No comments:

Post a Comment