Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Day 333: Cupcakes for Hospice Center!

Hi! It is Sophia. As you know, my mom is starting as a volunteer at the AseraCare Hospice Center. She told me about a chance to be a baker for the patients and families of the program, to help make them happy and to offer them something fun to eat. My job was to make cupcakes for the patients' birthdays, special events or just as a surprise treat! I thought this was great because I could incorporate my love for baking into a service opportunity. So, today I made my first batch. My sister Olivia got me this really jazzy battery powered frosting pen. You simply insert the frosting into the cartridges and slide them onto the pen. Then you press a button/lever and the frosting comes out of your chosen tip. It is really fun and a lot less messy than a piping bag! I chose to fill the pen with white frosting but then cover the cupcakes in either blue, yellow or green. I used the corresponding color sprinkles and put some chocolate chips on them because, who doesn't like a little chocolate?! Anyway, mom drove me to AseraCare Hospice where I delivered the box of cupcakes to the office lady who manages all the volunteers. I hope my cupcakes will bring a smile to someone's face on a special day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment