Thursday, January 19, 2012

Day 300: AseraCare Training Continues...

Today I attended another 2 hour training session that completed my on-site training at AseraCare Hospice. 
I still have to take two more on line courses and get my TB test.....but I'd say I'm down the homestretch for being a certified Hospice Volunteer!  Today's focus was on the actual "patient visit" and we learned more about the varying types of patients in the program as well as how the different diseases they have affect their mood, attention span, spirit and family situations. So many fascinating stories were shared by the volunteer coordinator who has experienced a lot in her seven years with hospice.  It made me think alot about Marie, and how her final days and hours were spent.  I remember Diane telling us all that "the hearing is last to go, so keep talking to her."  This point was brought up in the training and some incredibly moving examples of patients responding to familiar voices in the phase of what is called "active dying" was truly amazing. 
There were also so many stories that reminded me of Papa's situation, and Nannies hospital scare as well.  Indeed we are all exposed to so much death and dying by our midlife years that this sort of training is really invaluable. Although this commitment (which really hasn't even begun!) is proving to require a lot more time  than I anticipated, I know I made the right choice in signing on. 

http://www.aseracare.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment