Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 299: More Hospice Training

Wow!  I can't believe it'sday 300 of our Service Challenge 365!!

As planned, I continued my Aseracare Hospice training today by taking another on line course called "Spirituality in Caring and Giving".  It was really quite fascinating as I learned that Hospice organizations do not define spirituality within a religious context.  These professionals recognize spirituality as how an individual thinks about suffering in the world; how people see suffering in the lives of others and themselves.  Often this involves a higher being, but not always.  Apparently, there just aren't enough chaplains to provide all the spiritual companionship needed for those in a hospice program; hence, the volunteer training includes lessons in sympathy, empathy and compassion. There's also a lot of learning regarding treating "the whole person" and not just the disease. Frankly, I think most of the population would benefit from a course like this! Thank goodness I passed.  So now I have two classes down and two more to complete.  Tomorrow I return to the Aseracare offices for another seminar......to be continued......

http://www.aseracare.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment