Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 298: On-Line Training for Hospice Volunteering

Today I was able to block a couple of hours to continue with my orientation training to be a volunteer at Aseracare Hospice.  I am required to read a thick folder of materials as well as take four on-line courses through Aseracare University.  Today I completed the course "Communicating With The Elderly".  I am pleased to say that I got 100% correct on the exam; so all the current seniors in my life can rest assured that I will know how to communicate with them if they ever actually become elderly!!!  I learned a fascinating fact:  55% of any intended communication is done with body language; 38 %  with voice tone and only 7% through your actual words.  So like the adage goes..."It's not what you say; but how you say it".
This was the first time I've ever taken a course on line as it was not an option when I was a student almost 30 years ago!  I found it very relaxing to be able to sit in my cozy robe, sip my morning coffee and manage the pace of the class with just a simple click of the mouse.   Tomorrow I'll be taking another course...hmm...should I choose the class about the grief process or the one about spirituality and giving?
Guess I'll just surprise myself and everyone else tomorrow!

http://www.aseracare.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment