Thursday, January 12, 2012

Day 293: Training For Hospice Volunteering

Today was my first day of a three day training program I have committed to with Asera Care to become a volunteer.  It was an intense, 2 1/2 hour seminar, where myself and three other first time volunteers were introduced to the Asera Care company values and employee expectations.  Like "what to say and not say to patients and families"...."sometimes you just read the bible or say the rosary to patients", and the like. Fascinating, really.  Sitting around the table, we all had reasons why we want to join the mission. The woman sitting across from me lost her husband two years ago; he had been diagnosed with colon cancer and died one week later.  So sad.  This woman is hoping to become involved as a "Vigil Volunteer" as she knows how important that specific role plays in the final days of life.  Another woman is a graphic designer who specifically wants to participate in the Asera  hospice program that helps families chronicle stories during their final months.  And so on....
They are even looking for "Birthday Bakers" to help celebrate special ocassions with the patients.  Happy to sign me and Sophia up for that gig!!.   Anyways, I do believe it will be a remarkable and totally worthwhile experience.  I return to the training next week   I also have to take some on line classes/tests, a couple of TB tests, and provide more documents to the administrators...so I will be a bit busier than anticipated to get on board as a volunteer.  but still really really looking forward.....Patience is indeed a virtue!








No comments:

Post a Comment