Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Day 180: Sandwiches for the Soup Kitchen

Bianca here. Tonight, between my anatomy studying and nursing readings, I went to the first General Body Meeting of the Circle K Club. A community service club on campus, Circle K holds service events all year in locations all over Philadelphia and also hosts many philanthropic activities each month. I am so excited to join this club; there are so many great people interested in volunteering and it was fun to get to know them at the meeting. In the next month we are serving in soup kitchens, cooking for children and families in the "Gift of Life" center (a clinic that houses patients who are waiting for organ donations) next to campus, coloring with the children in CHOP, reading to underprivileged students in day cares, and several more. Our president believes that in every bi-monthly meeting we should do some sort of community service to take advantage of the time that the group is spending together. Today, we made hundreds of Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches for the local soup kitchen. We were split up into 4 groups, each one making a giant assembly line of bread. Some of us buttered, some of us jelleyed, some of us stacked the slices together, and the some of us put our finished products into little baggies! I went to the meeting with my two good friends Jessie and Chris, and we had a lot of laughs putting together these sandwiches. I was pretty speedy at it, too! Jessie was joking that it was my specialty since I have been making PBJs to take with me to class every day for the past week! All together, I would say we made at least 350 sandwiches. I am sure the soup kitchen is very appreciative of our work. A half hour of our time is feeding hundreds of people, and it was a good to be in an environment where everyone was in the spirit of giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment