Thursday, September 8, 2011

Day 167: Smile Train

Today was my regular dental check up which, at my age, is always a good news/ bad news visit!
Shame & Isolation
My good news today is that I have no cavities.  The bad news is that I need two crowns.  Oh joy....but of course...things could always be worse.
SmileTrainClearly, no matter how painful and expensive my oral situation is, it certainly pales by comparison to those chldren suffering from the horrific birth deformity; a cleft palate or lip.  Each year, over #170,000 children are born with this problem.  Something I didn't know:  According to the Smile Train website, "Being born with a cleft in a developing country is truly a curse. Every baby born in Uganda with a cleft is given the name Ajok which means literally, “cursed by God.” Some newborns are killed or abandoned right after birth."  How tragic.  The Smile Train website is remarkable and worth researching.
A contibution that felt way to small for this huge problem, definitely puts my crown issue in proper perspective.  

No comments:

Post a Comment