Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 160: Cupcakes for Cancer

Hello from UPenn! I have finally settled in and am enjoying my week of meeting up with all of my friends. Though just recovering from a major ankle sprain, I still have many meetings and a very long "to do" list before the start of classes! One especially important responsibility includes the Colleges Against Cancer Committee duties. The Committee wants to start advocating for Relay for Life as early as possible. Tonight, the committee is hosting a "decorate your own cupcake" bar. Whether a student wants to take a break from unpacking, explore the campus, or find an alternative to late night partying, they can come to the cupcake bar (which will also have a live band!!). Each color frosting will represent a different type of cancer (ex: pink will be breast cancer). Not only will this spread awareness, but this is also a way to obtain data about which cancers people are most passionate about curing so we can advocate fundraising for the most popular "colors" around campus and raise the most money possible.
We set up shop in one of the committee member's apartments. We made about 200 funfetti and plain vanilla cupcakes. (Don't worry, not from scratch! All were from box mixes). Only 4 people showed up to bake, but since I am not able to supervise the cupcake table tonight from 11-1 a.m., I figured I would at least help with the baking. I can now say I am an experienced batter scooper! I look forward to hearing how successful our event is, and how much the students like our baking-from-a-box!

No comments:

Post a Comment