Sunday, September 4, 2011

Day 163: Nothing But Nets

Back in May 2006, I faithfully turned to the back page of my Sports Illustrated to read Rick Reilly's column.  He is a sports journalist and writes extremely well with wit and humor, and he usually writes about some under publicized issue or event.  On this day he wrote about Africa's tragic battle with malaria. Sometimes, we forget how lucky we are in our part of the world, but many millions of people, mostly children, die from mosquito transmitted malaria.  I consider myself a human mosquito magnet, and can attract a swarm on a sunny, windy or rainy day.  But my worst mosquito day pales in comparison to the desperation and tragedy the people of Africa face each day.  I urge anyone who reads this blog to check out Reilly's article.  If the link below does not work, or you can't copy and paste it onto your  address bar, then google Rick Reilly and Nothing but Nets.  My efforts to inform anyone would not come close (or be as entertaining) as Reilly's article.
I have given to the organization several times, but today seemed to make sense to give again as I was covered by the little buggers while assessing my tree damage from Irene.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/rick_reilly/04/25/reilly0501/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment