Friday, April 8, 2011

Day 15: Committee Member for Relay For Life/UPenn

Hey Everyone,

Bianca here. I am posting my Volunteer Committee work today and my Relay For Life event experience tomorrow as both Friday and Saturday are all about RFL for me. 
Unfortunately our Relay for Life event must be held indoors this year because of the weather. This afternoon, I am in charge of helping to set up the Luminaria Ceremony. Each Luminaria bag represents someone who has suffered from cancer. A lot of people bought a bag and wrote the name of a loved one on the front. At the beginning of the ceremony, we will line up all the bags to spell "HOPE" on the bleachers. After the Survivor Lap, we will change the letters to spell "CURE." The whole thing is really cool because it is all done in the dark, with only the glowing candles in the bag for light. It's a little difficult to visualize but a picture will follow on tomorrow's blog.  My Committee Member commitments also include helping out at the registration booth, and after that, helping with the Survivorship Ceremony. This means that I will be dining will all of the cancer survivors attending the event. I am also in charge of coordinating a Musical Chairs game (at 4a.m!) so I'm sure I will be kept quite busy the whole night. I am really excited for this event because my committee has dedicated so much time and effort into making Relay for Life happen. We have spent months fundraising and publicizing for this event and it will be so rewarding to see the results of our hard work.
There is also a slideshow that is going to be playing at some point during the night, displaying pictures of those who have lost the battle against cancer. I sent in pictures of Marie and Papa, so it will be very moving when I see them during the first lap.
Off to go prepare more, but I will punch in tomorrow and share about the night!
Bianca

No comments:

Post a Comment