Sunday, April 10, 2011

Day 17: Special Olympics

Paul here. Today was a very challenging/rewarding day.  It started out in Hyannis, where we spent last night on the Cape so we could get to Sophia's final Mass. State Gymnastics Meet at Nauset Regional High School at 8:00 AM.  Sophia has been working hard all year for this final meet, but last Tuesday stubbed her pinkie toe (and re-injured it on Thursday) so her attendance and performance was in serious jeopardy.  Thanks to ice, rest, elevation and ibuprofen (and Sophia's competitive spirit) she performed beautifully.  Although not at her best, she gutted out some great routines and came away with some awards her age group.  AT THE STATES!  Mom, Dad, Olivia, and Bianca are very proud.

As these events take many (many) hours, we had to rush back to make my weekly 3:30 practice for the Wellesley Stars Special Olympics Swim team.  I made it just in time.  How ironic that I just left some of the states' finest young athletes to work with this group of Special Olympians. 
It turns out I was in for quite a practice.  I usually coach my lane with another coach or high school volunteer, but today I was by myself.  Not a big deal but it also happened that all my swimmers showed up, so I had 7 people by myself.  Also not a big deal, but with a meet coming up, each one has a specfic stroke (or strokes) they need to work on for their event.  Put it all together, and it was a wild hour and fifteen minutes.  Fortunately, for some unknown reason, the head coach assigned some of the most capable swimmers to my lane.  For the most part, these kids work as hard as any I have ever worked with.  The challenge has been for me to understand how to get the best response out of each athlete.  Today, I made a breakthough with one kid, who seems to try, but I never got the normal clues that he was paying attention.  Most of my instruction is directed to the group, and he just did not seem to "get it".  It turns out that after giving instructions to the group, if I say his name, and repeat the instructions, he joins in with great effort. 
In the end, it was one of my most satisfying practices.  I just hope that the people I am coaching are getting nearly as much out of the experience as I am.                http://www.specialolympics.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment