Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Day 27: Communion Visit to Shutins

Every 2-3 weeks, I visit 3 persons in the St. Jude Parish and bring them Holy Communion. These people are homebound ( as the title suggests) due to illness for short term or long term. I have 3 ladies and each of them is always delighted to have me come and love to chat about what is going on in the parish. Today, I only had 2 as one had a medical appointment. Since it is a few days before Easter, I brought them each a tulip. They were delighted and each though in different houses said the same thing--"a sign of Spring--if it ever gets here!" Eucharistic Ministers (of which I am one) have a special container in which to carry the hosts called a pyx. We have a book and say certain prayers from the Communion part of the Mass and give them the host--just like at Mass. We usually have a "chat" for a half hour or so and then I am off to the next. Each of them appreciates being connected to their church and I am filled with satisfaction knowing I have kept them close to their God and their church.One of them had a bunch of mail to go out, so I said I would take them. Buppa went off to the mail box, so he did an act of kindness too.

No comments:

Post a Comment