Saturday, April 9, 2011

Day 16: Relay for Life and Children's Festival/UPenn

Hi everyone!
Got back at 4am last night from the Relay for Life. The night ended a little early. Only the strongest few stayed until 8am! The event was great. I got there around 6pm to help set up the survivorship dinner.

This is a picture of the survivors eating in the private room. We had
it catered by a local Italian restaurant. The head chef's granddaughter was diagnosed with cancer when she was 7, so he was more than happy to donate not only to the survivorship dinner but to the entire event. This is a picture of me with Brian, a sophomore at UPenn who was diagnosed with cancer as a senior in highs school. He is now in remission.


We gave all of our survivors a sash and a purple shirt to wear as they took the first lap around the track (the gym, since we were rained out). Many of the survivors were quite young; some penn students even. I had no idea! We also had many student groups perform, including dance groups, stand up comedians, and a cappella groups.

Here is a picture of one of the east- asian dance teams performing. I had been to one of their performances before...they are very talented.

I also helped set up the luminaria ceremony that I mentioned in the last post. As various survivors were making their speeches and telling their stories, we lit up and spread out the luminaria bags to spell "HOPE." When the final survivor finished speaking,

everyone took a lap in remembrance of those who have been lost to cancer (while a slideshow was playing...both Auntie Ree and Papa's pictures were projected). During this time we rearranged the letters to say "CURE." It looked very cool. I hope you can see it in this picture... I had a friend take the picture on his phone because I was up there with the bags!


Here are a few picture of my team:

My friend Ibs and I having fun


More members of my team: Caroline, Jessie, Cole, and Lina






Also, as a bonus to my relay service, I attended a Children's Festival this morning. After getting home at 4, I woke up around 8 to go meet my scholarship donors at the nursing school. I came back home to sleep and woke up at 1:30 to a text from my friend Ibs telling me to come to this Children's festival on campus. He had apparently showed up to volunteer and I ended up going to see what it was about and working an arts and crafts table for a half hour or so. It was so cute to see all the kids!!

Enjoy the weekend!
Bianca



No comments:

Post a Comment