Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 34: Donating Blood

Paul here.  I've been meaning to give blood for at least a decade, so I thought this Service Challenge was just the motivation I needed.  After seeing Buppa give what probably adds up to many gallons over the years, I am long overdue.  Unlike some people in my family (Hi Olivia) I have never had a problem being poked for blood.  I guess my veins are easy to find.  As I've driven past countless blood drives over the years, it never seemed to be the right time, and when it was the right time, I could never find a nearby facility.  However, I just discovered it is so simple.  Just go to  http://www.redcrossblood.org/  and click on Donating blood, then click on "schedule an appointment".  You put in your zip code and all the blood drives in your area pop up.  
Who knew?
It took about an hour, most of which was taken up with a screening process that asks you all kinds of  interesting questions.  Everyone was very nice and you get free crackers and apple juice.  All you want!
I won't wait so long next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment