Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Day 249: Lea Community School


While furiously playing catch-up with all the school work that I neglected to do over Thanksgiving break (but worth it!), a young girl who looked about 14 years old approached me while I was reading and asked if I wanted to buy a wristband for a dollar. I quickly but politely declined, as I was on a deadline to finish my Spanish novel and I also didn't have cash. A couple minutes later, I realized that I did have a dollar in change and that the wristband profits were probably going to some cause that was blog worthy. So, I chased her down and scoured the entire building (of 3 huge floors) before I ran into another girl who was also carrying these wristbands. I asked her why she was selling the wristbands and what cause they were fundraising for. She said that she was from the Lea Community School and that these wristbands were being sold for the Music Program. Lea Community School is just down the street from campus, about a 5 minute walk into West Philadelphia. The name of this school stood out to me in particular as we are learning about the state of the Philadelphia school systems in my math class. (The "math" part is that we go into inner city schools to tutor students in math, so learning about the surrounding schools is relevant). As I learned in class, they are shutting down a couple of the elementary and high schools in Philadelphia and consolidating the students into Lea and one other school. So, I figured that with this huge influx of new students, they could use all the help that they can get! After all, they will be having a lot more students joining their music program once the students are transferred.

No comments:

Post a Comment