Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 236: Project Mexico

Hi all,


I was going to run this morning with Back on My Feet, but since I woke up with a fever, I decided I'd try and catch up on sleep. So, instead I bought a t-shirt benefitting a Loyola Immersion Program called "Project Mexico (more affectionately known as PMEX). PMEX is an international immersion program that takes place in the Mexicali/San Diego border region for 10 days in early January. The trip to Mexico follows after a semester of student organized preparation, education, team building and fundraising. While on the trip, participants are involved in community directed projects. They also engage in cultural and social activities and education programs that address topics such as immigration, the environment, human rights and political and economic issues. The program also emphasizes personal reflection on the Mexico experience and its impact on one's personal and spiritual development. My roommate Sam was accepted into the program (as one of two sophomores), and the trip is basically all funded by donations and an auction (held tomorrow), so I knew they could use the money! The trip costs thousands and thousands of dollars, and it would be such a shame of they couldn't raise enough money! The shirts were white and long sleeved, and had the Loyola Greyhound colored in with the Mexican flag design, as well as the "Project Mexico 2012" name spread across the center. It's quite comfortable, and I'm glad I was able to support an amazing friend and a good cause. 

No comments:

Post a Comment