Thursday, July 14, 2011

Day 111: Council on Aging Garden Party



Bianca here. Today I volunteered at the Council on Aging Luncheon, hosted by a woman in town who generously offered to hold the event at her house this year. She had a beautiful back porch with fresh flowers, which is most likely why the event was appropriately named a "Garden Party." The event started at noon and I arrived a little after 11. I prepared the dessert buffet, slicing chocolate cake and egg custard until the entire table was covered. I also made a tray of drinks and offered the members a cold refreshment as they walked in. Though I was only able to stay until about 12:15, I was still able to help some of the elderly get situated on the back porch and served them their desserts. One of them asked if "I was a daughter," to which I replied that I was just a volunteer. After introducing myself, she asked if I was Italian, because was I aware that "Bianca" means "white" in Italian! It was remarkable to see so many elderly town residents (some in their nineties and still driving!) able take part in nice events like this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment