Monday, July 4, 2011

Day 101: Happy Fourth of July!

How timely that the 100th day of our service blog falls on July 4th, such an important day that acknowledges the birth of our country and celebrates the heroes that made this freedom happen.

The Sherborn Fire Dept sponsors our local 4th events and celebrates the holiday with field races, a parade, BBQ and a town wide favorite...kiddie rides on the Fire Engines.  Knowing that many hands make light work, I dropped by the fire station today to see if they could use any volunteers for any of the activities planned.  They were quite enthusiastic and asked me to return to help "prepare the fire engines for the kiddie rides" .  I was delighted to know that I could be of use, but secretly, I was also thrilled to think that I could board the engines and do whatever one does to the hoses and other props to get these gorgeous, intense vehicles ready for kiddie rides!  So I even showed up 15 minutes early just to be sure I wasn't late.  But....I am sorry to report, someone else had already done MY volunteer job!! I asked if there was anything else I could do...ie cleaning or organizing around the fire station.  One fireman said that I "could clean his car", to which I actually said "OK", but then he wouldn't let me do it.  So sadly,  I was told that there was truly nothing awaiting a pair of helping hands.  They were very grateful for my offer and sure wished they could have taken advantage of a volunteer, but there was no specific need at that time.  Oh well...my intentions were good and as my mother would say..."A for Effort".

No comments:

Post a Comment