Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 87: Final Special Olympics update


This is the last time this year I will be able to report on my Special Olympics coaching.  I will miss working with the group every Sunday.  Today was the final day of the Summer Games, and once again, the experience was overwhelming.  Once again, some of our best swimmers won gold and silver medals (50 yard Backstroke, 50 yard Butterfly, and 100 Individual Medley).  And once again, the real victories came with athletes who pushed themselves to their limits just to complete the race.  I had some time today to look at some other S.O. events, and saw volleyball, track and gymnastics.  Although I was always somewhat aware of the organization, I was never aware of the magnitude of Special Olympics, and of how much they mean to the disabled and their families.  I feel so priviledged to be able to work with this group.  I feel like now that my rookie year of coaching is done, I will be better able to jump in and contribute when the 2012 team comes together. 

No comments:

Post a Comment