Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Day 362: My Weekly Volunteer Visit to Hospice

Patricia here.  It hardly seems like a week has passed since visiting My Friend at the nursing home hospice center, but indeed it is Wednesday again, so off I went to see her, hoping that she would be alert and responsive.  I found her sitting in the rec room, eyes closed, but aware that I was visiting.  (Apparently she had just had her medications, and they make her quite sleepy.)  I was glad to see that she still has the sunflower ribbon I gave her tied around the arm of her wheelchair!  Today I brought her a St. Patrick's Day ribbon tied around a silk rose.  Although she never was able to open her eyes, she did lean in as if to smell the rose when I said that I brought her a flower. We visited for only about a half hour as she really needed to go lie down and sleep, but during that time she held my hand tightly and heard all about the corn beef and Guiness bread that Sophia made for Paul's birthday dinner; the daffodils starting to bloom in our yard;  Marcia's dress for Laura's wedding; and on and on.  Eventually I decided to read excerpts to her from my book "Chicken Soup for the Mother/Daughter Soul" as I've been told that hospice patients often like to be read to...which is probably much nicer than hearing me ramble on!  Overall, it really was a lovely visit.  I met her nurse who told me that My Friend once drove in the Pacer Car at NASCAR!!  Simply amazing to learn little tidbits of the vibrant person she once was.  If only she could share her stories with me....

No comments:

Post a Comment