Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Day 355: Spending Time with My Friend in Hospice Care

Today is Wednesday, the day I have dedicated to making a volunteer visit to My Friend through Hospice.
Last week was a very difficult visit; today was wonderful!  When I arrived at the nursing home, I could see a concert pianist in the adjacent reception/recreational area playing beautiful music for the residents who gathered to listen.  I glanced the group, searching for my Friend, but she was not there.  As I headed to her room, I looked further down the hall and there she was, sitting upright in her wheel chair, all dressed, alert and ready for the day.  I asked if she would like to join the concert and she made it clear that she would (my first small victory!) by nodding and pointing in the direction.  I sat with her, and watched her cry as she was clearly moved by the beautiful music.  Perhaps she played the piano at one time?  I'll never know. But just seeing her engage in this event was so special and heart warming.  After about a half hour, she was struggling to say something, so I asked if she wanted to leave and she seemed to say "yes", so I wheeled her to a quiet corner and talked, and talked, and talked to her some more.  She held eye contact with me a lot and even said my name!  I'm absolutely sure of it!!  She can't say much even though she is clearly thinking a lot.  She tried to tell me something about being a painter.  I just kept reminding her that "I'm trying so hard to understand, please be patient and hopefully I'll soon know what you are trying to communicate."  After about 1 1/2 hours, I was leaving and the nursing aides came over to get ready to bring My Friend to lunch.  And then here's what happened.  I stood and said good by, and thanked her for letting me visit with her for so long.  And she reached for my hand and tried so hard to speak and then finally found the words, belting out "Thank You".  I gave her a hug.  Walked out the door.  And then cried a few tears of joy!
I realize each hospice visit will be different, but now that I've experienced both ends of the spectrum in just two visits, I would imagine everything in between just might be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment