Sunday, March 4, 2012

Day 345: Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation

Bianca here.
Today, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Boston Celtics game against the New York Knicks. My friend Alex had an extra ticket (row 10!) and the ticket was free (for me at least...haha) so it was an offer I couldn't refuse! Believe it or not it was my first Boston Celtics game. We won 115-111 in overtime, but it was a pretty close game for the entire 4 quarters. There were some incredible performers during halftime and commercials as well, including an incredible drumline band composed of only elementary school students, as well as a hip-hop dancing group of kids ages 8-11. So much young talent! As I was walking around the edge of the area during
a commercial break, there was a table selling raffle tickets for the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation. Of course I did not win, but below is the mission of this foundation:




The mission of the Boston Celtics Shamrock Foundation is to extend the reach of the Celtics championship legacy into our community. The Shamrock Foundation benefits our children directly, through programs that provide education and support. The Shamrock foundation also partners with community based organizations that provide healthcare, shelter and vital services for children in need.



This year our community partners are Perkins School for the Blind, Children's Hospital Boston, Horizons for Homeless Children and the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (MSPCC).


I figured it was a more worthy purchase than a T shirt! Th

ere were updates every couple of minutes on the jumbo-tron, showing how much money they had raised through raffle sales during the game. Last ti

me I looked it was nearing $3,000 just for the one game! Not bad for a couple hours, huh?
I am glad to have been able to go to the game today and get back into my Boston Pride mode before going back to Philly!

No comments:

Post a Comment