Sunday, May 1, 2011

Day 38: Special Olympics Qualifying Meet

Today was a huge qualifying meet for the major Special Olympics event coming up in June.  It took place at Agganis Arena at Boston University.  Since I started coaching this team, everyone was talking about this meet, and now I know why.  Although not as significant as the "Olympics" next month, this was a pretty big deal.  I could tell that the athletes sensed the significance of this meet, because virtually all of them performed at their best.  There was, as always, some confusion at first, but things got smoother as the meet progressed.    The last race of the day was the most challenging.  Relays take the athletes out of the pattern that was established earlier in the day.  Sometimes they freeze on the block because there is no starting horn, sometimes they leave way too early out of confusion or excitement, and sometimes they keep swimming after their leg.  It causes some amusing scenarios.  However, today my 4 x 50yd freestyle relay team went off without a hitch; each swimmer performed at their highest ability.  I was very proud of them.  Having been at this meet, I have a better idea of what to work on in practice, so I am learning a lot along the way.  Congrats to all the atheletes!

No comments:

Post a Comment