Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 3: Coaching Special Olympics Swim Team

This is Paul.  Today I went to my weekly coaching session for the Wellesley STARS, our local Special Olympics swim team.  As usual, it was awesome.  The athletes range from 8-9 years old through young adult.  There is a huge range of (dis)abililites, but almost all the people are great to coach.  I have learned a lot from their perseverance and determination.  I considered myself a fairly experienced swim coach, but working with these athletes has changed the way I view a "productive" or "successful" practice or meet.
I'm sure the athletes appreciate the coaches help, but the biggest impression I've made so far is to one kid who thought my kelly green Guiness boxer shorts were the greatest thing he's ever seen.
Looking forward to next week.  http://www.specialolympics.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment